When you do a half marathon or full marathon, any motivation along the way is welcome. One form of motivation that I always look forward to is the signs held by spectators along the course.
Some are simple: “Go, Joelle!”
Others are inspirational: “You are a rock star!”
Then there are the funny ones — and they are the ones that give me the biggest boost. In fact, I vividly remember a sign I spotted in my very first race, back in 2005. A young woman held it high, and it read: “Hurry up, Rob — the game’s on at 1!”
Here are other memorable ones I’ve seen:
- Look alive — there’s a funeral home in the next block!
- Run like there’s a hot guy in front of you and a creepy one behind you
- Worst parade ever
- Pain is temporary. Race results are forever!
- Run like you stole something
- Run like [insert dreamy celebrity of choice] is waiting at the finish line
- 13.1 miles — you’re only half crazy!
- Your feet hurt because you’re kicking butt
- Run, Forrest, Run!
- This seemed like a good idea 3 months ago!
And here are two I spotted at a race in Atlantic City a few years ago:
Share your favorite examples in the comments!